Sunday, February 14, 2010

Saudades

Saudades is a particular word that Brazilians use to describe the action verb of missing someone, something. It is a word that doesn't exist in any other language but in portuguese. It describes a feeling so deep and strong that a mere word isn't enough. It is beyond an idea, beyond an equation, beyond any other understanding besides what it is. It is love. It is knowledge. It is a presence that satisfies a need. It's a custom. It's food. It's a type of laughter. It is the sea. It is the people. The language. The music. Nature. Rhythms of earth. Of smells, taste, sounds, textures, sights. It's my home. I will leave this home soon and with me it will go to the unknown. This sense of saudades will follow me in a lifetime of journeys across the universe.

I miss so many things in my life. I am suppose to be use to moving around all the time. Obviously I am thankful for all the opportunities I have had in life traveling. But the one thing I don't like about my life as a nomad, is leaving all the people that I love behind; every time that I move. It's a feeling that eventually hurts and doesn't subside. I miss people. I miss my friends. My family. My life in every place that I have set foot in. I miss laughing in a different language. I miss driving on the opposite side of the street. I miss spices with foods. I miss the highs of legality. I miss the quality of good beer. The savory smells of grapes in wine. I miss the movement of dances in cultures. The burning of fires in nature. The festivities under moonlight. Everything that has made my life complete, I miss. Although I have to admit, I have had a pretty fucking good life so far and I am dying to experience much much more.

2 comments:

  1. Saudade dói... mas só dói pq algo foi bom o suficiente pra trazer a tona esse sentimento...
    eu sinto saudades...

    ReplyDelete